GPS coordinates of the object:
LAT: 46.3892 LON: 16.43218
The Castle is the most valuable monument of secular architecture in Čakovec and Međimurje, mentioned for the first time in historical documents in the 13th century. It was erected by the aristocratic Čak (Csak) family. In 1546 the Castle came into the possession of the Counts of Zrinski who, under a constant threat from the Ottoman Empire, transformed it into a modern Renaissance fortress and a luxurious palace. The Castle’s current appearance dates from the 18th century.
Since it was founded in 1954, the Čakovec Museum of Međimurje has been located there.
Nowadays, the Castle is the central memorial place of the Međimurje County, as well as the symbol of its identity and tradition.
Stari grad Zrinskih
Culture and history